Monday, April 7, 2008

No, not Mad Cow Disease...

We weren't crazy! Luke has a virus and we confirmed it today! He's got Hand-Foot-and-Mouth Disease along with at least 4 other kids at school. Here's the lowdown, courtesy of the Mayo Clinic:

The signs and symptoms of hand-foot-and-mouth disease include:

Fever (check)
Sore throat (scratchy voice- check)
Painful red blister-like lesions on the tongue, mouth, palms of the hands or soles of the feet (mouth area, lips, and fingers- check)
Headache (does it count if Mommy and Daddy have one?)

Fatigue (check)
Irritability in infants and toddlers (check)
Loss of appetite (check)


The usual period from initial infection to the onset of signs and symptoms (incubation period) is three to seven days. Fever is often the first sign of hand-foot-and-mouth disease, followed by a sore throat and sometimes a poor appetite and the feeling of being sick (malaise). One or two days after fever begins, painful sores may develop in the mouth or throat. Rash on the hands and feet can follow within one or two days, and may also appear on the buttocks. Hand-foot-and-mouth disease may cause all of the above signs and symptoms or just a few of them.

1 comment:

Nanna said...

Oh, Luke - It sounds like something I-I should know more about. Did you know that Vaughn, You and I-I all went to visit the Dr. last week? You are all probably on anti-biotics for different reasons, but you've all been miserable. We will pray for you guys to get well.
Did you know that I'm coming back with Auntie Beth on Tuesday and staying overnight with them and attending a workshop on Wednesday. I wish I could see you, but I'm catching a ride back to Fargo on Wed. as soon as we are through.
Hope you are better soon.
Love,
Nanna