Saturday, September 5, 2009

Pictures of Riley




Poor Riley is getting the shaft with blog updates... here are some of our favorite pictures of her.  She's officially 2 months old!  I can hardly remember a time without her.  She's such a good little girl and has been quite adaptable regardless of the situations we put her in.  

Her first 2 months haven't been without some challenges.  While uncomfortable and inconvenient at times, we're just so thankful that we only have minor health issues to deal with.  
Her clavicle is healing very well.  By day 10, she stopped crying when we moved her arm to dress her and every day after that, her range of motion has improved.  She'll have no problems swinging at a volleyball in the future.

Riley was diagnosed with acid reflux at 4 weeks old.  Since being put on medication, her appetite has increased and her overall disposition (read between the lines... crying and screaming) has improved tremendously.  It used to break our hearts to see her arch her back in pain.  That image has been replaced by silly smiles and playful expressions.  I had a scare at 2 weeks that was related to the reflux.  After a visit to the doctor, I ran to our district office to update my insurance forms.  While there, Riley began choking.  I've never unhooked car seat straps so quickly!  Once she was on my shoulder and with the help of a few good whacks, she was back to normal (it was a LONG car ride home, though!).  Turns out, she was gagging on the sticky phlegm caused by reflux.  She receives 2 doses of medicine a day (0.6 ml of zantac).

Also at her 4 week appointment, Dr. Morkeberg caught early signs of torticollis.  We go to physical therapy appointments every 2 weeks and do daily stretching exercises to get her neck muscles to loosen up.  It happens to be tight on the same side as her clavicle, so there's a chance the two are related.

Other than that, Riley is doing great!  She has spikey cartoon hair and longer-than-life eyebrows.  We joke that she's a mini Andy Rooney.  :)  She's also got one of the widest grins we've ever seen.  It's our hope that she keeps sharing that beautiful smile for years and years to come.  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just want to come and rock that little Riley; she is so sweet! I can't believe it is Sept. and we have not been up to see you. Sounds like Riley has what we or Mary F called a "McHugh" stomach. She will probably grow up taking tums. Mollie has a huge bottle by her bed. Most of us suffer from it!! The pictures of the Fair brought back great memories but not enough to motivate me to make the trip. That's a McHugh thing too. I spent too many days on Machinery Hill with my dad when I was a kid! Love you guys. Sara