Thursday, March 29, 2012

Nursing 101




I had my second ACL surgery in a year on March 29. I wouldn't wish this injury, surgery or recovery on anyone. However if you have a family like mine, you can't help but to enjoy a few perks, too. Nanna came to help the whole family by doing 1,000 things to make our lives easier. For example, I was reminded how difficult it was to put on socks and shoes... lucky for me she was even willing to get close to my smelly, smelly feet! We also plowed through TWO chocolate sheet cakes while she was here. As a result, my post-
op weight loss plan didn't work out as well as I had planned. :)

My experience at TRIA equaled the first one. Everyone was great and took such good care of me (I think, because in reality, I was out for most of it). Dan was with me when they wheeled
me away and was quick to return to my side once I was back in this world. A surgery like this really demands a lot from him because he has to take over so many duties until I'm back to speed. I'm lucky to be married to someone so caring.

Dan and the kids brought me flowers and Luke wrote the most fantastic get well note I will likely ever receive in my life. As soon as the flowers and a hug had been delivered to me, he sat down at the table and wrote from his heart. No one helped him, no one coached him on what to write, and after about 15 minutes he returned to share his card with me. It reads,

"I love you so much, Mom, and I don't know what it feels like but I try my best to make you feel better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" My heart melted. :)

Riley is acutely aware that my knee is not 100%. Every time she sees me after being apart for a few hours, the first words out of her mouth are, "Your knee all better, Mom?" If her smiles could mend my knee, I would never have needed surgery.

It's been a week and my knee is feeling really good. I can get around without crutches or my immobilizer. It will be a while before I bound up the steps again, but I'm confident that I'll be better than ever (just like last time! ha!).

1 comment:

Nanna said...

It's so nice to see the love and hugs among your family. You and Dan are wonderful models.
Riley's fascination with the "screws" (taken out of your knee from the last surgery and placed in a container for you to bring home)was apparent with her quick association to bring them to Daddy for use in his workshop to fix something (probably his bike).