Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Not by the hair of my chinny, chin, chin!






Walking can be a dangerous activity... especially if you're Luke! Today at school, Luke took a header right into the bookcase. His chin lost the battle! After some quick phone calls, both Mommy and Daddy headed home to take Luke to the emergency room. If you'll remember, Luke is no stranger to the ER. Last summer he got stitches in his lip. Now, before his second birthday, we were back to have Luke's face sewn up again. The gash was really quite impressive...deep enough to hold a Q-tip! It was a busy day in the ER, so we spent 2 hours in the waiting room. Once inside, we waited another hour to see a doctor. During that time, we did our best to get Luke to take his nap... his lack of sleep made him crankier than the cut on his chin. Mommy was given the job of nurse... I had to insert a Q-Tip with numbing liquid into the inner core of the cut. Wow! Luckily, Luke slept for about 30 minutes while Mommy "operated". Unfortunately for Daddy, he was stuck in the most uncomfortable position ever while holding Luke... we joked that he would need pain medication worse than Luke would!

The stitches went fine. Luke screamed, not out of pain, but because he didn't like having his arms trapped inside the pillow case. Also, the orderly who held his head was not exactly a "kid person" and showed little compassion for how scary this situation was for Luke. I think there are 6-7 stitches... can't really remember. Our doctor comforted us from the start by touting his excellent suturing skills... he practiced many times on his own sons some 20 years ago. Time will tell if he is really as good as he said he was, however my money is on a small scar that will be barely noticeable in the future.

1 comment:

Nanna said...

Ouch! You are one tough little boy. I'm surprised that Mommy is smiling as she poses as a nurse.
I hope going to the ER doesn't become a regular visit. Does Mommy always carry a camera? Your baby book is going to need some extra space for Doctor visits.
Nanna and I-I sure hope your stitches help your chin heal without a huge scar. Nanna has a scar under her chin too, but we don't have to match. I got mine going down a hill on a tobaggan...it didn't help that I was on my knees, in the front and hit a big bump.
Night-Night!
Love,
Nanna