Monday, November 3, 2008

"The call"

Typically when Mommy gets a phone call from school, it's not good news. Today was a different story, however.


2:19 pm- (voicemail) "Hi, this is Dawn from Kindercare. This isn't urgent, but I was wondering if you could give me a call when you have a minute. I'll be here until 3:00 or we can talk in the morning."


2:20 pm- "Hi, Susan, this is Karla McHugh, Luke's mom. Dawn left me a message and asked that I call her before 3:00."


Susan: "Sure, Karla, just one minute."


Dawn: "Hello, this is Dawn."


Mommy: "Hi, Dawn, this is Karla, Luke's mom. How are you? Did Luke stop crying after I left this morning (he was hysterical!!!)? Is he having an okay day?"


Dawn: "Oh, yes, he snapped out of it after a minute or two."


Mommy: "Well, that's good to hear! So, I'm calling about the message you left..."


Dawn: "Yes, I wanted to let you know that Luke has had a dry diaper all day today."
...PANIC SEIZES MOMMY AS SHE THINKS THAT LUKE IS DEHYDRATED AND NEEDS TO SEE THE DOCTOR. AFTER WHAT SEEMS LIKE A LONG PAUSE, DAWN CONTINUES...
"Both times we brought him to the potty chair, his diaper was dry and then he went potty. I think it's time for underwear."


Mommy: "Honestly? Well, that's great news. So, how do we do it?" (Mommy starts thinking about the number of times she'll be running the washing machine over the next few weeks...)


Dawn: "Well, I'd take him to Target and let him pick out underwear that he's excited about and then we'll start."


Mommy: (still thinking about laundry) "So, how many changes of clothes should I bring to school?"


Dawn: (with conviction she replies) "4. If you don't mind washing clothes, we don't mind changing him. And you'll need an extra pair of shoes too. Sometimes it can puddle up in them."


There was a little more to the conversation, but you get the gist of it. When I picked Luke up from school, he was wearing a sticker that Miss Faye gave him that says, "I did it!" He really liked his sticker! We called Daddy and had him meet us at Target where we bought 2 new pair of shoes and a plethora of undies. Thomas the Train was appealing to him as were the Sesame Street characters. Spiderman was in the hunt for a brief time, but in the end, was hung back on the hook. Mommy threw in a package of training pants for good measure. Dawn let her know that they're a little more absorbent and might reduce the chance of potty in his shoes.










I pray he's excited about this when we start... if not, he's going to be one wet kid! :)

2 comments:

Nanna said...

This sounds pretty serious now. I hope something like a letter from "Johnny Cash" can work magic for Luke like it did for Mommy. I know he has to make up his own mind, but once he does...don't worry about 4 sets of clothes, you won't need them! Sounds as though Miss Faye and Luke will figure it out. Keep a good thing going...
Love,
Nanna

The Broms said...

That's fantastic! Big day for Luke, Bigger day for Mom and Dad!We're already looking forward to the day when diapers hit the dust.

PS- You are on fire with your blogging! Way to stay inspired :D