Thursday, June 24, 2010, will go down in McHugh history as the day Luke earned his independence. 6 days shy of his 4th birthday, Luke decided to ride his pedal bike. His friend, Jacob, rode down on his pedal bike to play with Luke in the sprinkler. Jacob and his dad were bachelors tonight, so they accepted our dinner invitation. After dinner the boys decided they were going to ride their pedal bikes. Luke has been lukewarm (at best) about riding his pedal bike this summer, preferring the safety of his balance bike. Tonight, however, he was determined to ride his big boy bike.
Daddy held on to Luke's shirt for a few trips down the street. Riley and Mommy emerged from the house about 3 minutes before the solo trip took place. And, best of all, Mommy just happened to grab the camera!!! Once Luke got a taste of riding without help from Daddy, it was full steam ahead. We are all so proud of Luke. Even Riley clapped when he approached. (Mommy got so excited, she forgot to focus the camera on several shots.)
It was priceless to hear Luke call his favorite people to share the news. His commentary of the evening's events were spot on... "I have big, big news! I can ride a pedal bike with 2 wheels. Now I can ride any bike I want, my balance bike or my pedal bike." Daddy is already dreaming up mountain bike trips for the two of them to take next summer. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment