Luke and Mommy went to Fargo last Wednesday night for a long weekend with I-I. Nanna was out of town, so the weekend was filled with I-I and Luke doing all sorts of "man/boy" stuff. Actually, I-I should be writing this post as most of the info I'll write is second hand. I-I, feel free to add anything I miss in the comment section!
Wednesday night- long drive to Fargo... first the sunset was too bright, then when the sun went down and Luke finally fell asleep, he'd awake to headlights that were too bright. We arrived at Nanna and I-I's around midnight.
Thursday- Luke, Mommy, and I-I were up early to go work at the farm. Luke loved scouting the garden, chasing Mommy through the cucumber patch, and eating peas. He learned quickly that farming=getting dirty. His only faux pas was picking clumps of dirt (instead of beans or peas) and throwing it in the produce buckets... that meant extra veggie cleaning for I-I and Mommy when we got home. Since it was a hot day and we were a mess, we put on our swim suits and headed to the pool. Luke LOVED floating around on his blow-up boat and going down the slide. Luke would give Mommy commands "little splash" or "big splash" depending on how adventuresome he was sliding into the pool. This was quickly followed by, "More sliding, Mommy!?" It was fun for Luke and a great arm workout for Mommy.
Friday- I-I went to work in the morning and Mommy and Luke "cooked" a couple salads for Mommy to take to the cabin. Soon after lunch, it was nap time for both Mommy (who had stayed out with friends really, really late the night before) and Luke. After I-I returned, Mommy packed up and said goodbye for the weekend. Luke went over to the neighbors and played on their slide. He also enjoyed riding his bicycle around some 5 gallon pails that I-I had set up for him. The buckets provided Luke some fun obstacles to drive around... they were also a nice seat for I-I once he got tired of watching Luke ride "around and around"!
Saturday- The big field trip on Saturday was to the animal barns! Luke saw dairy calves, sheep, pigs and horses. I-I and Luke had fun playing with toys the rest of the day. I-I observed that Luke was much more interested in figuring out how things worked than actually playing with them.
Sunday- Early rise for the 2 farmers as they headed out to the garden again. Luke showed his eagerness for gardening by getting himself out of his car seat and sliding out of the pickup to follow I-I. When I-I turned around Luke was hot on his heels! While I-I picked beans and peas, Luke preoccupied himself with running laps outside the electric fence around the garden (yes, the fence was disabled). He would run up to I-I and say, "hello, I-I. Bye-bye, I-I" and off he'd go for another lap. He also spent about 45 minutes digging good North Dakota dirt with his shovel and piling it into his dump truck. This trip to the farm was even messier than the first, so I-I and Luke headed straight for the shower after arriving home. When Mommy returned from the lake, Luke was sound asleep. After waking up, Luke greeted Mommy with the best welcome... a loud"Mommy! Mommy's back", wide open arms and a great big kiss! We celebrated by going swimming again (more sliding= toner arms) and another shower. Nanna arrived from her weekend away around dinner time and we whisked off to Happy Joe's for Mommy's birthday pizza! Luke really liked the cheese breadsticks... he still completely avoids anything with tomato sauce. So weird!
Monday- We left for home around noon. Luke, Mommy and Sammy made a stop to see our friends 9-day-old twins, Baby Axel and Baby Bella. They are precious... big for twins, but still so tiny. Luke was a good boy during our visit. He understood that Baby Axel was sleeping and did his best to be quiet. Amazing to think that Luke was almost that small once! Sometimes I take for granted all of the things Luke can do for himself. As frustrating as his independence can be sometimes, it sure is nice that he can fend for himself at the dinner table. Once we get him potty trained and get him a drivers license, he'll be pretty self-sufficient. :) After goodbyes for everyone, we headed home where Daddy was waiting for his Luker. Ahhh... it felt good to be home again!
No comments:
Post a Comment